STOP PUPPY MILLS IN CANADA!
BE a VOICE for PUPPY MILL DOGS!
Ruby’s Legacy is currently focused on helping to pass Federal MP Nathaniel Erskine-Smith’s Private Member’s Bill c-246, the Modernizing of Animal Protections Act. This bill is our BEST OPTION to change federal laws so they deter people from cruelty and/or to punish offenders appropriately.
THIS IS A TIME SENSITIVE ISSUE!
At the end of September there will be additional debate and a critical VOTE on the bill. If there are not enough MPs voting in favour of this legislation, Bill c-246, will not pass! PLEASE take a moment to sign this government e-petition. It is the only one that will be read in the House of Commons. Scroll down for videos and info on Bill c-246.
We’re planning social media campaigns in September to help promote the passing of Bill c-246. Your donation will go a long way to offsetting our costs. EVERY donation is appreciated! PLEASE HELP if you can.
Click the DONATE button to be connected with our secure Paypal site,
or SEND AN e-TRANSFER to RubysLegacy.StopPuppyMills(at)gmail.com.
Thanks so much for your generosity. Ruby’s Legacy is a NON-PROFIT organization (not a charity) so we are unable to provide tax receipts for your donation. Read more…
MORE ABOUT Bill C-246 IN OUR VIDEOS!
TIME IS RUNNING OUT! HELP PASS Bill C-246!
- Canadian Animal Cruelty Laws have not changed substantively in almost 125 years!!!
- The second two hours of debate and an important VOTE to take the bill to committee for further scrutiny are scheduled for the end of September 2016.
- WE WANT Bill C-246 TO GO TO COMMITTEE, SO WE MUST let our government know that our ANIMAL CRUELTY LAWS MUST BE UPDATED!
- It’s important that Canadians TALK TO THEIR MPs to explain why Bill c-246 is important to them!
Ruby’s Legacy BACKGROUND:
- Ruby’s Legacy began as a Facebook Group in November 2015.
- January 2016 we contacted Federal MP Nathaniel Erskine-Smith with a request for him to sponsor a Federal government petition to change laws around puppy mills. He met with us to discuss the deplorable state of puppy mills in Canada, at which time we discovered he was writing a private member’s Bill to update animal protection laws into the 21st Century.
- February 26, 2016 he introduced Bill C-246, the ‘Modernizing Animal Protections Act’. Bill C-246 includes: closing loopholes in animal cruelty cases, making it easier to prosecute puppy millers and increases penalties so that second time offenders may be banned from owning animals for life.
- May 9, 2016 was the second reading and first hour of debate in the House of Commons
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould do not support the bill, BUT THERE IS STILL REASON TO BE OPTIMISTIC.
Here’s what we’ve accomplished so far!
- LETTER WRITING CAMPAIGNS to Federal and Provincial Members of Parliament: Our Ruby’s Legacy intention is to deliver a serious message in a peaceful way. We focused our first campaign around Feb. 14, 2016 when a FLOOD of over 5,000 letters in RED ENVELOPES reached government officials on Valentine’s Day to let them know we want to STOP PUPPY MILLS IN CANADA and WE KEEP SENDING!
- SOCIAL MEDIA BLITZES: Our most recent Twitter Campaign in support of #Billc246 TRENDED # 1 in Canada on Tuesday, June 21.16. Stay tuned for more!
WHAT ARE PUPPY MILLS?
Puppy mills are high-volume, substandard dog-breeding facilities that put profits before animal health and welfare. Dogs are force-bred continuously without any consideration or attention to their physical or emotional well-being.
The majority of puppy mill dogs are vulnerable small breeds kept in squalid conditions. They exist day after day matted and covered with feces and urine, in over-crowded cages that are inadequately protected from extreme weather conditions. The ammonia built up from improper ventilation causes painful eye and respiratory tract irritations. Many dogs live their entire lives on wire-bottomed cages resulting in numerous skin ulcers. There is unimaginable, relentless pain from illness or physical abuse.
These atrocities continue to occur because our animal cruelty laws are wholly inadequate for preventing and shutting down these mills. Astoundingly puppy mills are NOT illegal in Canada!
WHO WAS RUBY?
Our group has come together in honour of a tiny puppy mill survivor named ‘Ruby’, as well as all the others who suffer as she did. After a near lifetime as an over bred puppy mill mother, she only knew the love of a family for two short years before she succumbed to illness and injury inflicted by her excruciating 6-years of confinement and torture. Read more…
ALL the info you need to participate in our campaigns is provided.
We realize this is an emotional subject but PLEASE refrain from posting aggressive, derogatory and abusive comments on our Facebook Group, as it’s this behavior we are looking to stop. Such posts will be immediately removed.
©2016 Ruby’s Legacy. All rights reserved.
Graphics and Videos created by inspirtainment inc.